[BioC] Using MAANOVA functions

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Dec 21 18:52:30 CET 2005

Heather Maughan wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor-users:
>
> I am using the package MAANOVA to analyze microarray data and have
> encountered problems when trying to plot data.  I have tried emailing a
> MAANOVA discussion group, as well as the author of the package, and have not
> yet received a response so I am hoping that someone on this listserv can be
> of assistance.
>
> There are several functions in MAANOVA (riplot, resiplot) which call the
> "plot" function.  For some unknown reason, when I use these functions, it
> appears that "xlim" has not been specified and I get an error (see below).
> However, when reading the code for each function, a command for how to
> calculate "xlim" has been specified but for some reason it does not get
> done.  Does anyone have experience using MAANOVA commands and is willing to
> help?
>
> Here is an example of the error I get.  It is identical also for the
> "resiplot" command:
>

>>riplot(spore)
>
> Error in plot.window(xlim, ylim, log, asp, ...) :
>     need finite 'xlim' values

Looks like the calculation of xlim results in either an Inf or -Inf.
Your best bet is to run riplot() under the debugger and see what is
being passed to plot().

debug(riplot)
riplot(spore)

You will be able to step through the function and see what you get for
max(I) and min(I), which may help figure out what is happening.

HTH,

Jim