[BioC] frustration with this interface

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 22 05:46:44 CET 2005

Hi,
  Sorry your experience was not good. I have no idea what you are doing
to annoy the list-handling software, but perhaps one of the folks that
runs it will pipe up with some advice.
  Once you join the list, you should be able to post by simply sending
email to bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch, nothing more complex than that
(but since many readers do not use html you should not post html
messages), try for plain text (most email clients let you do that, but
not always in a straightforward way).

   In any event, ask away, and I don't personally do private email about
R or Bioconductor, but will try to answer on-list questions I know about
(the list is archived and others find out the answers as well). Have you
looked at the archives, or thought about the mac sig for R (if it is an
R question that is the more appropriate list, this is really intended
for Bioconductor packages rather than general R, but we do try and help).

The posting guide, for both R and Bioconductor are good things to look
at. Bioconductor sees more than 300 mails per month and R more than 2000
now, so we really do need posters to help us with as accurate details as
possible,

  best wishes
    Robert

david clayton wrote:
> I've been trying to post a legitimate question asking for help
> with setting up bioconductor in Mac OS X Tiger.
> After crafting a reasonably careful and thorough entry, I tried to
> "post the article."
>
> First I got a message that there were lines longer than 80 characters.
> OK.
> The feedback was a bit rude, but I can deal...
>
> I went back and manually edited all the lines
> (for whatever reason, the window in post.gmane.org/post.php
> displays lines that are longer than 80 characters).
> I then tried to post again.
>
> This time I got nonsense about how I was
> "top posting. Don't do that."
>
> All issues of etiquette aside -- I'm what?? This is a NEW post!
> I'm not quoting or responding to anyone else!
> There's no way I'm top posting!!
>
> (Or maybe to flip it around, OF COURSE I'm top posting,
> there's nothing underneath cause it's a new message!!)
>
> So, my introduction to the Bioconductor community is not going too well.
>
> That's too bad.
>
> If there is anyone in the community who would be
> willing to advise a senior molecular biologist
> (Mac-literate, but NOT command line or UNIX savvy)
> on a legitimate question about R installation and
> TCLTK issues, please email me directly.
>
> david clayton
> dclayton at uiuc.edu
> http://titan.biotec.uiuc.edu/songbird/