[BioC] quality analysis

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sat Feb 5 23:31:23 CET 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 7:16 AM, claudio..is@@libero..it wrote:

> R-Bioconductor is endowed with many features regarding microarrays
> quality
> analysis, however I
> would like to know if there is some material about the interpretation
> of the
> results bioC gives.
>
> For instance, how should I interpret the RNA DIGESTION PLOT? On my
> diagram I
> have a very high slope, I think; the first point, the average of the
> probecels
> equivalent between the probesets, has a value of 2, then it increases
> until the
> ninth that has a value of 12. Then the signal goes down until the last
> probe, the
> eleventh. The platform is a MOE430a.
> Is this diagram sufficient to say that I had a big Degradation? Is it
> worth to
> go on with the analysis?

I believe that the slope, per se, is not that interesting. What you are
looking for in this particular plot is whether the slope is really
different for some samples versus others. If all are about the same,
then things are probably ok. And if not, then you have a potential
problem in that the arrays may not be directly comparable and some
fancier work might be needed.

Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |