[BioC] Installing Bioconductor in a multi-platform R installation

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Feb 10 08:14:02 CET 2005

Hello,

I've just finished installing R 2.0.1 for our UNIX systems, which include
Tru64, Solaris and IRIX, plus Linux on x86 and PPC.  I am doing this on
AFS, which allows me to minimize the number of files in the installation
by keeping one copy only of everything that's generic and separate copies
of platform-specific files only, with run-time linking to the correct
files for each platform provided through the AFS "@sys" magic, which
expands to a particular system name at run-time.

I then proceeded to install Bioconductor.  It created some files which
are specific to a particular platform.  Installing for another platform
would overwrite these files, so I renamed them temporarily and proceeded
to install Bioconductor on another platform.

All the generic files are now there, only the .so's for a different
platform are missing.  getBioC() on the other platform says that all
the packages are up to date, but obviously R would barf trying to load
Linux x86 .so's on any other platform, so...

How can I force "getBioC()" to recreate the .so's for every platform?

If I can avoid installing R and Bioconductor separately for each platform,
I would very much like to do that.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,