[BioC] Installing Bioconductor in a multi-platform R installation

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Feb 10 16:26:20 CET 2005

Hi Atro,

On Feb 9, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:
> How can I force "getBioC()" to recreate the .so's for every platform?

One possibility is to not use getBioC().  Instead download the package
tarballs and install them with R CMD INSTALL.  This should force a
compile even if the package is already installed.

You might also try specifying the destdir parameter.  Given an empty
destdir, I'm hoping you'll get the behavior you want.

> If I can avoid installing R and Bioconductor separately for each
> platform,
> I would very much like to do that.

Eh?  Haven't you already had to do this?  Given that the platforms are
not all binary compatible, I don't think there's any way to avoid this.

If it were me, I would go for the "disk space is cheap" notion and
spend time automating install scripts to make admin'ing all those
installs easier.

Good luck,

+ seth