[BioC] (stupid) question about wilcoxon test and finding interesting genes

Dipl.-Ing. Johannes Rainer johannes.rainer at tugraz.at
Mon Feb 14 08:07:19 CET 2005

yes, you are right, i applied a wilcoxon test to the M values (which is
in this case the same as the paired wilcox of the log2 expression
values). i got a vector of p values, one p value for each gene.

the p values i got were a little bit surprising to me, because i found
genes significant, although they were not that much different between
the sample and the control group. something about 6000 genes have a p
value less then 0.05, so this might be ok (i was a little bit too quick
by saying that every gene is significantly different :) ).

so the next step is to correct the p values... i thought correcting p
values is only necessary when i do multiple testing? sorry for my
question, but i am more used to do some programming and work with
databases then doing statistics...

thanks to all your answers, you help me very much! thanks!