[BioC] (stupid) question about wilcoxon test and finding interesting genes

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue Feb 15 21:56:54 CET 2005

When there is no differential expression (and if the genes were
independent) then the p-values should be uniformly distributed.  So, if you
test at level alpha and you have N genes, you SHOULD find alpha*N genes
that have significant results (and all are false positives).

The FDR correction does 2 things simultaneously - it estimates the
percentage of genes that differentially express (using departures of the
p-values from the uniform distribution" - and then estimates the False
discovery rate for any observed p-value.

I guess we have to ask what "necessary" and "multiple testing"
mean.   There are 2 kinds of error - false detects and false
non-detects.  We do not do this type of correction if we worry more about
false non-detects.  If false detects are a bigger problem, then the FDR
estimate allows us to estimate when we have an acceptable rate.  If you are
really testing only a few genes on your arrays, I would not use FDR.  If
you are really testing all the genes, then I think you have a "highly
multiple" testing situation.

I don't really like the term "adjusted p-value" for FDR estimates.  They
are not probabilities, they are estimated error rates.  But that issue was
discussed a few weeks ago on this list.

--Naomi