[BioC] Installing Bioconductor in a multi-platform R installation

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 14 16:30:10 CET 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 9:53 PM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:
>> You might also try specifying the destdir parameter.  Given an empty
>> destdir, I'm hoping you'll get the behavior you want.
>
> I'm sorry, but I can't see where there would be an empty destdir I
> could use.

Create a directory and give this as the destdir argument.

>> If it were me, I would go for the "disk space is cheap" notion and
>> spend time automating install scripts to make admin'ing all those
>> installs easier.
>
> Disk space is cheap, but making sure that all of the separate installs
> are up to the same level with add-on packages could potentially become
> a major pain, which is why I try to do the same with anything I install
> on AFS for multiple platforms.

If you say so.  I suspect maintaining such "mixed" installs will be
more of a pain at upgrade time, but whatever works for you.  We never
install to our different platforms in this way so I'm afraid I cannot
be of further help on this issue.

Good luck,

+ seth