[BioC] normalization question (conceptual)

Paul Mack paulmack at arches.uga.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:01:08 CET 2005

Bioconductor:

I have a question concerning normalization of data from Affymetrix
Drosophila chip .cel files. This is a general question about how to
normalize over multiple treatments. I have data from multiple (4)
treatments -- actually a timecourse of 4 post-treatment intervals (0, 3, 6,
and 24 hrs later) -- with 3-6 biologically independent arrays for each
treatment. I also have 5 biologically independent control arrays -- the
same 5 arrays serve as controls for comparison to each of the 4 time
intervals. I have used RMA to compare each treatment separately against the
controls to determine genes whose expression levels change significantly
under each treatment. As a result, I normalized each of the four treatments
to the controls separately -- that is I did four separate normalizations
with the one set of controls and one time interval. Would it be more
appropriate to normalize all of the the experimental arrays in the analysis
to the controls at once rather than separately, one treatment at a time (as
described above)? If so, is there a recommended way to do so? I attempted
to normalize all my arrays at once in R but received an error message
(which I unfortunately did not save).

Many thanks.

Paul Mack, Ph.D
Department of Genetics