[BioC] mean vs median of pixel values within spot mask

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 27 00:24:44 CET 2005

This is to correct a typo in my previous posting.

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:16:43 -0500
> From: Pita <pwilkinson_m at xbioinformatics.org>
> Subject: mean vs median of pixel values within spot mask wasRe: [BioC]
>         something weird with read.maimages and .gpr files
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch

> Would the assumption here be that the spot morphology
> must be impeccable?

I have not yet seen any compelling evidence that the median foreground is more reliable or more
tolerant of poor spot morphology than the _mean_ foreground in this context.  If you can cite such
evidence, it would a useful contribution to the debate.

Gordon