[BioC] Significant p-values disappear in limma

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 14:07:30 CET 2005

Hi Sean

Unfortunately this one is out of my control (as usual), but I have much
smaller p-values with 4 arrays before, and even with 3 arrays.  Also
note that in one of my four-array experiments, EVERY single p-value was
0.9999963 after adjusting for the fdr - that's over 4600 spots, all with
the same p-value.

Finally, note that the SWIRL dataset has only 4 arrays and limma
produces many, many p-values <= 0.05.

So, although I admit 4 arrays is far from ideal in terms of power,
something is nagging me that that's not it, and it certainly wouldn't
explain why over 4600 spots all have the same adjusted p-value - would
it?

Cheers
Mick