[BioC] Significant p-values disappear in limma

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 5 14:18:22 CET 2005

Have you run p.adjust on the p-values from limma?  I think limma uses
p.adjust directly, so you can check (for fun) to see that you get the
same results.  Power to detect differentially-expressed genes is NOT
just a function of the number of arrays, but also of the experiment.
(In other words, just because Gordon shows finding differentially
expressed genes in the swirl experiment with four arrays doesn't mean
that all experiments with only four arrays have enough power to detect
small differences.)  You could increase the number of experiments or
you could just accept that, while not statistically certain of your
gene list, it probably represents a good ordering and then proceed with
your confirmatory experiments based on the ordering.  Did you consider
using SAM (in siggenes), just to see if that gets you more (not likely,
but...)?

On Jan 5, 2005, at 8:07 AM, michael watson ((IAH-C)) wrote:

> Hi Sean
>
> Unfortunately this one is out of my control (as usual), but I have much
> smaller p-values with 4 arrays before, and even with 3 arrays.  Also
> note that in one of my four-array experiments, EVERY single p-value was
> 0.9999963 after adjusting for the fdr - that's over 4600 spots, all
> with
> the same p-value.
>
> Finally, note that the SWIRL dataset has only 4 arrays and limma
> produces many, many p-values <= 0.05.
>
> So, although I admit 4 arrays is far from ideal in terms of power,
> something is nagging me that that's not it, and it certainly wouldn't
> explain why over 4600 spots all have the same adjusted p-value - would
> it?

You are positing a bug in limma?  Like I mentioned, try running the
p-values from limma through p.adjust.  Alternatively, try using the
qvalue package, just to see what you get.  But, yes, I have seen the
majority (I don't think all) of my genes have the same large p-value.

Sean