[BioC] Significant p-values disappear in limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:55:25 CET 2005

michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
> Hi Sean
>
> Unfortunately this one is out of my control (as usual), but I have much
> smaller p-values with 4 arrays before, and even with 3 arrays.  Also
> note that in one of my four-array experiments, EVERY single p-value was
> 0.9999963 after adjusting for the fdr - that's over 4600 spots, all with
> the same p-value.

Mick,

I see this sort of thing all the time, and what it means is that you
don't have any evidence for differential expression between your two
groups.

One of the things I do to check the quality of a given set of data is a
principal components analysis. A plot of the first two PCs is usually a
very good indication of how well your downstream analysis is going to
turn out.

For instance, I just looked at 17 Affy chips from three different sample
types. Only one group clustered together on a PCA plot, and this cluster
was within a larger cluster of the other two groups (in other words, the
different groups did not cluster separately). I knew from this that I
would not be able to show any differential expression, and when I did
the statistics my smallest adjusted p-value was something like 0.5.

I bet if you did a PCA with your data you will see something very similar.

Best,

Jim