[BioC] Re: Installing Bioconductor on R 1.9.1

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 23:54:57 CET 2005

<quote who="Wolfgang Huber">

> Hi Marion,
>
>> And I'll add that you might be better served if you advocated for your
>> organization's getting more sysadmin's to take care of your research
>> tools
>> for you, instead of having each and every researcher go off and spend
>> hours
>> of their time learning the nuts and bolts of compilers and operating
>> systems.
>> Unless of course you enjoy doing that sort of thing and have someone
>> willing
>> to pay you to do it (:-).

One more consideration: R and Bioconductor have pretty short release
cycles (a major release every 6 months, sometimes minor releases in
between), and for some of the frequently used packages, there have been
many more intermediate "development versions" that people wanted to use as
soon as they came out. Sometimes the updates were not backwards
compatible. I would be interested in how many system administrators are
willing to update a centralized multi-user R/Biconductor installation
practically on a daily basis, as well as keep older versions around for
those users that want these.

  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber
European Bioinformatics Institute