[BioC] Installation memory demands (GO, humanLLMappings)

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:57:59 CET 2005

>     * does the installation generally require this much memory, or
>       is this a quirk of that particular notebook (e.g. a buggy library
>       version with an unfortunate memory leak or the like)?

It happens here, too (SPARC/Solaris-9, Sun Studio 8 compilers, 64-bit).  It's
most noticeable on building the metadata packages -- I've seen the R virtual
memory size grow to ~1GB when building *CHRLOC and *LLMappings packages.
Fortunately, my "build" machine has 2GB of RAM.

>     * what do you think about my "cross-installation" fix, is that
>       reasonable here? With the same version of R and a reasonably
>       similar platform, it seemed worth a try and there are no
>       obvious problems, but I haven't been able to test this
>       thoroughly until now.

I routinely build/test on one machine and deploy on others.  However we
are pretty careful to make sure identical OS, compilers, and shared libraries
are installed on all our systems.  The shared libraries are probably the most
critical, as far as R/BioC are concerned.

Regards,

Marion