[BioC] hgu133_plus_2?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:24:34 CET 2005

Carl-Magnus Högerkorp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> New to this list and to Bioconductor, I apologize if bringing up old
> matters, but I need a solution to my problem, which is:
>
> When trying to load a set of 30 x (hgu133_plus_2) .cel files, this message
> pops up:
>

>>rawBcells<-ReadAffy()
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 317553 Kb
> In addition: Warning message:
> Reached total allocation of 1022Mb: see help(memory.size)
>
> Obviously there is a shortage of memory as I interpret it.
> So, any suggestions on how I should address this, since I want to run gcrma,
> normalizations and clustering etc on this set?

You could try justGCRMA(), which uses much less memory. Alternatively
you could purchase another Gig of RAM, which these days is very inexpensive.

> The next problem arising is when trying to run separate files with gcrma:
>

>>raw0001<-ReadAffy("B cells P-00.01.CEL")
>>grma0001<-gcrma(raw0001)
>
> Computing affinities.Done.
> Adjusting for optical effect.Done.
> Error in model.frame(formula, rownames, variables, varnames, extras,
> extranames,  :
>         variable lengths differ
>
> is gcrma unable to read (hgu133_plus_2).cel files?
> The library for hgu133_plus_2 is loaded OK.

No, it is because you tried to run gcrma on only one chip. For any of
the methods that model the probe-level data (gcrma, rma, affyPLM,
li.wong), it doesn't make any sense to use only one chip, which is why
you are erroring out. Try using maybe 4 or 5 chips and see what happens.