[BioC] Analyzing mulitple tissues

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Jun 8 14:38:44 CEST 2005

I agree completely with Gordon's comments.

The less replication you have, the more you need to rely on the statistical
model.  The basic model says that the variance does not change with the
experimental condition.  If you take this seriously, you could replicate in
the "least expensive" condition.  But it is a very strong assumption.  An
even stronger assumption is that ALL the genes have the same variance for
the same condition - this is equivalent to selecting a "fold change"
criterion.

e.g. Do you really believe that the variability of the differentially
expressing genes is the same in "normal" and "cancerous" tissue, or in
"developing" and "mature" organs?

What I tell people is that if you don't plan to replicate all your
conditions, you should plan to have a statistician as a collaborator.  Then
at least you have someone who knows how to check the sensitivity of the
analysis to the assumptions made, and possibly check the validity of the
assumptions.  As well, statistical optimal design can help in designing
experiments with higher statistical power for the same cost (although
sometimes the obvious design has the highest power), or cut your cost.  I
just reduced the array budget of 1 experiment by 25% by a very modest
change in the design.  Besides the reduction in the number of arrays, the
number of animals was similarly reduced.

--Naomi