[BioC] memory problem with fitPLM in package affyPLM

Ben Bolstad bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 9 19:40:56 CEST 2005

There were significant changes in the structure of the PLMset object
between 1.2.x and 1.3.x which is why you are having problems with the
boxplot(), Mbox() commands on your old PLMset using the new code.

To reduce memory usage with fitPLM I suggest that you do something like
the following

Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none"))

which should significantly reduce memory usage (and this should really
be the default setting, an oversight on my part which will be fixed
shortly).

Also, if you can live without the weights (or alternatively the
residuals) you could do

Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none",weights=FALSE))

or

Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none",residuals=FALSE))

which would also reduce the memory overhead.

Ben

Ben Bolstad <bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu>
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~bolstad