[BioC] GC-RMA - interpretation of the expression levels

Susan Hilsenbeck sgh at breastcenter.tmc.edu
Fri Jun 10 14:47:27 CEST 2005

Melania

Affymetrix chips are "one-color" experiments, so the expression you
refer to is NOT the log-ratio of expression of experimental compared to
reference that you see in "two-color" cDNA experiments. Affy expression
is an "absolute expression, in the sense
that high numbers mean more molecules and low numbers mean few
molecules, although the numbers can only be compared within gene and
cannot be compared between genes (i.e. if one gene has a higher number
than another, that does not necessarily mean that the first gene had
more molecules).

Susan