[BioC] Aquantile normalization & transcriptional activity

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sun Mar 13 23:35:08 CET 2005

>Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:18:16 -0800
>From: Federico Scossa <fscossa at pw.usda.gov>
>Subject: Re: [BioC] Aquantile normalization & transcriptional activity
>To: fscossa at pw.usda.gov
>Cc: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
>yes, the same amount of RNA has been retrotranscibed and applied to all
>arrays in my experiment. is it still ok to use quantile normalization in
>this case?

The basic assumption made by quantile normalization is clear, that there is
no genome-wide shift in transciptional activity between the RNA targets.
This is true for many or most experiments, but only you know enough about
your own experiment to judge whether this is reasonable and meaningful in
your case.

>thank you for all your help,
>Federico
>
> >is the same amount of mRNA applied to the chip in all cases? if so, it
> >seems global suppression of mRNA would be compensated for by the use of
> >more cells, i.e. that normlization would still be OK.

You are citing Tomas Radivoyevitch here, and he may be right, but I worry
about what meaning can be ascribed to "differential expression" in such a case.

Gordon