[BioC] the edgeNames( ), and the label for the edge in a node-edge plot created in Graphviz

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon May 9 16:28:05 CEST 2005

Hi Yilin,

Yilin Liu <Y.liu at mdx.ac.uk> writes:

> every time you construct a graph object, you can use edgeNames()
> function to return the edge names in the graph, e.g. if node "A" is
> connected with node "B", then the edge name is returned as "A~B".
> I want to know whether i can set the edge name by myself, e.g. I'd
> like to call it "L1".
>
> Another question is when I convert a graph into a .gxl file in R, i
> can plot it in Graphviz. Is it possible to include labels for all the
> edges and get edge labels shown in the graph the sames as the node
> labels.

If you are not using Windows, you may wish to investigate the
Rgraphviz package which allows you to create plots of graphs (via
graphviz) from within R.  The Rgraphviz vignette has examples of node
and edge labeling that looks to be exactly what you are looking for.

The Rgraphviz vignette would likely be a helpful read even if you are
unable to use the package as it may clarify for you how the labeling
works.

+ seth