[BioC] Limma final gene expression report

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 10 10:09:23 CEST 2005

There are ways of combining replicate spots in limma, and it is all in the user guide :-)

However, many people, myself included, prefer things reported on a spot-by-spot basis.  If all replicate spots for a particular gene are reported as significant, I take that as further proof that i) the gene is differentially expressed, ii) my arrays are of good quality, iii) my experimental procedure was of good quality.  Think about the case where only one out of two spots is reported - is that because one of the spots was of poor quality?  Or because the values for each spot differ by a lot?  You would lose this valuable information if you just took the average between replicates.

If you *really* want an average value for each spot, simply take the average M value from the output of toTapble.

Mick