[BioC] Limma, lmFit "subscript out of bounds" error

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed May 11 15:51:03 CEST 2005

> Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:57:51 +0100
> From: Emmanuel Levy <emmanuel.levy at gmail.com>
> Subject: [BioC] Limma, lmFit "subscript out of bounds" error
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Hello,
>
> I am working with 5 affymetrix arrays: 1 wild type and 4 mutants, all
> differents (no replicates).
> I think that is the reason why when I run lmFit I get a "subscript out
> of bound" error.
> I guess one can't fit a linear model with 1 point only.

The code you give shouldn't give an error, and doesn't in limma 1.9.5, but there isn't any point
in fitting a linear model to data with no replication.  The fitted model will just return your
expression matrix back again as coefficients.

> If it is the case, is there any way around? What would you recommend
> to analyse these arrays?

You have 5 different conditions and one array for each condition.  The only thing you can do is to
compute fold changes (or log-ratios) between the different conditions, and choose an arbitrary
cut-off to select genes.  This seems intuitively obvious, doesn't it?

Gordon