[BioC] AFFYMETRIX MISMATCH

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu May 12 16:25:17 CEST 2005

Marta Agudo wrote:
> Hi
> I´ve done an array experiment using Affymetrix arrays  and I was quite happy
> with the analysis (GCRMA) till the other day. A guy in a meeting told me
> that Affy chips have all these controls  which I thought were great, but he
> insisted that the mismatch-probes are more a pain than a good idea. He
> suggested I should re-analyse the arrays without the mismatched-results.
> Here is the question, what do you think? and if you agree, does any of you
> know an script to get rid of them? (I can use R, but very bluntly)

If you use rma() in the affy package, you will be doing essentially the
same thing as gcrma() but without the step that uses the MM probes to
estimate background. Also note that gcrma() doesn't use the MM probes in
a naive way like Affy's MAS4 or MAS5, but estimates the true background
after accounting for the 'stickiness' of the probe, based on the GC content.

Best,

Jim