[BioC] homology packages and LocusLink IDs

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sat May 14 19:51:20 CEST 2005

Hi Lynn,
   I am not sure quite what you are asking - the point of that part of
the vignette is to explain how to map from LocusLink (soon to be Entrez
Gene) IDs to other things. Typically you have Entrez IDs for other
reasons - like from an analysis of differential expression, or by
choosing a particular GO term and finding the associated genes or,
perhaps mapping an analysis done on one species to another; pretty much
the list is endless.

    Or are you asking about mapping from Entrez gene ID one to a
homologous gene, and for that gene you want to get the Entrez Gene ID?
In that case, right now, you would get the homology environment for the
appropriate (second) species and use its homologene ID to map to the
Entrez Gene ID for that species.

I believe that this will be changing in the next release (any day now),
as Homologene has really changed their data formats and keys, and seem
to be relying more on Entrez IDs and less on Homologene IDs. They also
seem to have substantially expanded the information available (and
contracted the number of species it is available for) we will be trying
to enhance the packages, but any suggestions or requests would be quite
welcome.

Regards,
  Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |