[BioC] Re: Sequence alignment for DNA sequences (John Zhang)

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Wed May 18 15:49:00 CEST 2005

Hi,
   It is in general a bad idea to rewrite something in a different
language, unless there are good reasons. The interoperability of R, and
other languages, like Perl and Python makes it possible to often reuse
rather than reinvent. That said, the complexity involved is not trivial
and many find it hard to manage keeping the systems in snyc. I find
that if I want to do anything more - in terms of analysis or
visualization then I am going to need to get the data over to R, so it
tends to be involved in any event.

    We wrote the Biostrings package in part to better understand the
algorithms from Gusfield's book and in part because for a digital
karyotyping project that we were working on we found that the available
perl solutions were too slow. For some of the pattern matching
Biostrings was much faster - your mileage may vary. It too is not
complete - but there is some very nice code there. And there is nice
code in other places - reuse beats reinvention.

Robert

ps the folks that wrote seqinR seem to be confused about the name
though - from CRAN you need to download seqinr, also note it does not
seem to handle the extended DNA alphabet - which is something I find I
need if I'm doing very much sequence work

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |