[BioC] alternate /tmp for Bioconductor install

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri May 20 07:13:23 CEST 2005

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the delay in response.  We've been busy preparing the
Bioconductor 1.6 release.

Robert Citek <rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
> I'm attempting to install Bioconductor under Debian following the
> instructions here:
>
>   http://www.bioconductor.org/faq.html#getBioC
>
> Apparently, I don't have enough room in /tmp to untar the tar files.
> What is the "R way" to specify an alternate /tmp folder to use while
> installing Bioconductor?  "export TMPDIR=" comes to mind.

Yes, exporting TMPDIR should result in files downloaded by getBioC
being placed in TMPDIR.

The new getBioC script for Bioconductor 1.6 will be modifed to accept
an argument specifying where to download packages, but that isn't
quite available yet (check back next week).

> Also, can a failed install be "restarted" so that it will continue
> from where it failed?

Unfortunately, no, this isn't supported.

+ seth