[BioC] question of medianpolish in RMA

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 31 18:09:39 CEST 2005

Simon Lin wrote:
> How can the medianpolish used in RMA ensure that
> both
>   alpha (probe affinity) and beta (expression abundance)
> larger than zero?
>
> Or, RMA occasionally gives out negative expression values?

Medianpolish is run on log transformed values, so if by chance there
were a bunch of data in the range (0 - 1) before taking logs, it is
possible that some of the expression values could be negative. However,
I have analyzed hundreds of chips and have yet to see a negative value,
so I think the likelihood of such a thing happening is remote.

Best,

Jim