[BioC] Quality Images Website moved

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Thu Nov 17 17:46:48 CET 2005

Hi David,

To actually decide whether or not to remove a chip from a dataset the
recommended method is to use either or both of the RLE and NUSE boxplots
and look for arrays with boxes that are centered higher or more spread
than the others.

The chip pseudo-images give you the ability to potentially diagnose the
cause of the lesser quality data. Generally speaking, smaller artifacts
are not problematic (and probably aren't even reflected in the NUSE or
RLE) although they can sometimes be interesting as can be seen by some
of the images in the gallery. This is because on most modern chips the
probes making up each probeset are distributed all across the array,
which means that there is typically only one probe in any probeset
affected. Thus provided you are using a robust expression measure eg RMA
or the expression values from fitPLM itself you won't have any problem.

Larger artifacts are more problematic (and usually you'll find
correspond with NUSE and RLE) because it typically means there are some
probesets with a large number of probes being affected. If it is really
bad you probably don't have much choice but to remove the whole chip
from subsequent analysis.

If you feel you are somewhere in between then your best option is
probably to do some down-weighting of lesser quality data. I believe if
you do your analysis using limma and supply the PLMset from fitPLM it
will do something like this, though you might have other ideas about how
to do the weighting. I think this would be a better approach then just
completely masking the area.

Thanks,

Ben