[BioC] How to match Locus IDs with Gene Ontology IDs?

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Wed Nov 23 00:31:39 CET 2005

I looked at several Bioconductor packages that deal with Gene Ontology (GO,
goTools, ontoTools), and I don't seem to find functionality that does the
following:

Given Locus ID NM_001533 I can go to NCBI

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

and search "Nucleotide" for "NM_001533"

I can click on the NM_0015333 hit returned, and about 2/3rds of the way down
the page under the CDS section, the go_component, go_function, and
go_process subsections give Gene Ontology info for NM_0015333.

Likewise, if I do the same thing with Locus ID BC001721, I see a hit and a
CDS section, but no gene ontology information.  That's OK, I'm not expecting
everything to have GO information.  (E.g, of the 45,101 probesets on the
Mouse430_2 Affy chip, only about 4693 have GO Biological process
information, 2573 have celleular info, and 4875 have molecular function
info.  I'm not working with Affy data, but I know many IDs won't have GO
info, but some will.)

If I have a long list of Locus IDs, e.g., NM_001533, BC001721, ., are there
any Bioconductor packages that "connect" these identifiers to gene ontology
identifiers, or perhaps some other identifier (say LocusLink, aka Enterez
Gene) that is mapped to the Gene Ontology information?

Thanks for any suggestions on how this might be automated using Bioconductor
and R.

Earl F. Glynn

Scientific Programmer

Bioinformatics Department