[BioC] How to match Locus IDs with Gene Ontology IDs?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Wed Nov 23 02:26:08 CET 2005

Hi

Earl F. Glynn wrote:
> I looked at several Bioconductor packages that deal with Gene Ontology (GO,
> goTools, ontoTools), and I don't seem to find functionality that does the
> following:
>

> Given Locus ID NM_001533 I can go to NCBI

  I think that is a RefSeq ID and I am also pretty sure that LocusLink
has been retired in favor of Entrez Gene (although we are a bit slow in
moving).

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
>
> and search "Nucleotide" for "NM_001533"
>

> I can click on the NM_0015333 hit returned, and about 2/3rds of the way down
> the page under the CDS section, the go_component, go_function, and
> go_process subsections give Gene Ontology info for NM_0015333.

  biomaRt might be your best choice

> Likewise, if I do the same thing with Locus ID BC001721, I see a hit and a
> CDS section, but no gene ontology information.  That's OK, I'm not expecting
> everything to have GO information.  (E.g, of the 45,101 probesets on the
> Mouse430_2 Affy chip, only about 4693 have GO Biological process
> information, 2573 have celleular info, and 4875 have molecular function
> info.  I'm not working with Affy data, but I know many IDs won't have GO
> info, but some will.)

  Again I do not believe that BC001721 is an Entrez Gene ID, and it does
matter a bit.

   You can of course always use AnnBuilder to build your own annotation
for a microarray (if that is what you are working off).

  Robert

> If I have a long list of Locus IDs, e.g., NM_001533, BC001721, ., are there
> any Bioconductor packages that "connect" these identifiers to gene ontology
> identifiers, or perhaps some other identifier (say LocusLink, aka Enterez
> Gene) that is mapped to the Gene Ontology information?
>

> Thanks for any suggestions on how this might be automated using Bioconductor
> and R.
>

> Earl F. Glynn
>
> Scientific Programmer
>
> Bioinformatics Department