[BioC] Again on heatmap clusters - dChip style, Pearson's distance. Which solutions ?

Giulio Di Giovanni perimessaggini at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:07:30 CET 2005

Looking thru the mailing list and the web I found a question by Saurin Jani
that's exactly my question. But this question was answered in two different
ways by Michael Watson and Shi Tao.
I was trusting Michael, because Saurin answered that was Ok, but also Shi
Tao argumentation look convincing...
here the three mails, starting from the bottom...
Wich one has the more appropriate solution ?

Thanks a lot

Giulio

-----------------------------------
Shi, Tao writes:

Here is what dChip manual says:

"The default clustering algorithm of genes is as follows: the distance
between two genes is
defined as 1 - r where r is the Pearson correlation coefficient between the
standardized
expression values (make mean 0 and standard deviation 1) of the two genes
across the samples used.
Two genes with the closest distance are first merged into a super-gene and
connected by branches
with length representing their distance, and are then excluded for
subsequent merging events. The
expression values of the newly formed super-gene is the average of
standardized expression values
of the two genes (centroid-linkage) across samples. Then the next pair of
genes (super-genes) with
the smallest distance is chosen to merge and the process is repeated n – 1
times to merge all the
n genes. A similar procedure is used to cluster samples....."

so, to follow that exactly, what you need to do is something like:

row.dist <- as.dist(1 - cor(scale(t(esetSub2X))))
col.dist <- as.dist(1 - cor(scale(esetSub2X)))
heatmap(esetSub2X, Colv=as.dendrogram(hclust(col.dist,
method="centroid")), Rowv=as.dendrogram(hclust(row.dist,
method="centroid")))