[BioC] Again on heatmap clusters - dChip style, Pearson's distance. Which solutions ?

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 11:47:41 CET 2005

Clustering methods are exploratory methods in nature to allow you to
explore the data. There are usually no well defined rules for
exploratory methods. My experience is that the investigators play around
too much with such methods until they arrive at a visually interesting
picture around which they can make a story for. Clustering methods may
be the first analysis one does but it is by no means the final or
definite one as many like to believe.

Now that I have expressed my distaste for overuse of clustering methods
in microarray, let me answer your question. The two answers differ in
that a) Tao Shi uses scale() on the expression before calculating the
correlation values and b) in the different linkage methods.

The use of scale() is redundant here as cor() does it anyway.

   m  <- matrix( rnorm(1000), nc=10 )
   c1 <- cor( m )
   c2 <- cor( scale(m) )
   all.equal( c1, c2 )
   [1] TRUE

I cannot advise which linkage is best. But if you want to reproduce
dChip's clustering and if it uses complete linkage, then you should do
the same. But I believe that the most "popular" linkage method used for
microarray data is "average" linkage.

Regards, Adai