[BioC] two pair dye-swap (replicates) conducted in different labs

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Sep 27 02:31:46 CEST 2005

At 06:37 AM 27/09/2005, kevin Lin wrote:
>Dear Gordon and other users,
>
>Based on Limma usersguide and the hint you sent me, "the  #of columns in
>designmatrix is equal to the #of RNA sources-1 for two-color direct
>comparisons". This is what I did using command modelMatrix.

This advice, and the use of modelMatrix() itself, actually applies only to
connected designs. Your design is unconnected. You need to assemble the
design matrix by hand.

The solution is quite simple, and I've answered virtually the same question
on this list before. Basically you just put the design matrices for the two
connected parts of your experiment together. Rather than giving the
solution again here, I think a longer term solution is to say that you
really should consult one of the senior statisticians in your department.
The MDACC employs many experienced statisticians, some of whom are experts
in microarray analysis.

>## something i don't understand ##
>1) why my corfit$consensus is NaN? Am I supposed to get a number which
>indicates a relation between two block arrays(first 2 and last 2).

You have no business using blocking here. The two pairs of arrays are
reflected in your design matrix, not in the error structure.

Gordon