[BioC] combineAffyBatch problem

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Aug 7 17:29:19 CEST 2006

Hi Catherine,

Catherine Dumur wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang and Bioconductor people,
>
> I am using the combineAffyBatch function from the matchprobes package
> regularly now, and I am very pleased with its performance.
>
> However, I was wondering if you can help me with the following:
>
> I understand that every time I run the function, a new .CDF object is
> created and this takes a considerable amount of time. I was wondering if
> we can re-use an existing "newcdf" object when performing new analysis
> where the same two types of arrays are used. In other words, since I am
> always combining the same 2 types Affy chips, the newcdf object should
> be the same. If I use that object from previous sessions, I shouldn't be
> creating a new one every time.

You are correct, you _shouldn't_ be creating a new one every time.
Instead, you should save() the newcdf object and load() it back in when
you need it. An example would be:

save(newcdf, file="newcdf.Rda")
load("newcdf.Rda")

If you use this newcdf regularly, you might even want to build a data
package. See 'Writing R Extensions' for more information.

HTH,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.