[BioC] Affymetrix 500k SNP chips -- copy number/LOH/deletions

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Aug 17 15:17:35 CEST 2006

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Henderson wrote:
> Is there software for analysing copy number/LOH/deletions in SNP data
> using R/Bioconductor?
>
> Plus apologies for being slightly off-topic but
>
> Does anyone know what typical Call rates are for a good analysis of 500k
> SNP chips? I have calls from about 87-95%, and have heard that 93% is
> good for 100k chips. Is this range acceptable/ usual for 500k chips?

For the 100K chips, and assuming you are using the Affy software
(GCOS/GDAS/GTYPE), you should be getting > 95% call rates. This is not
possible for the 500K chips, so you have to adjust a setting - I believe
it is the homozygote/heterozygote call thresholds - from 0.25 to 0.33 in
order to get a call rate in the 90th percentile. This is why Affy has
switched from using their maximum likelihood estimation method (they
call DM) to BRLMM, which has a higher call rate for the larger chips.

CRLMM, which is implemented in the oligo package, probably has higher
call rates than either of these two.

Note that the current implementation of oligo/makePlatformDesign
requires _lots_ of RAM for even a small number of chips, so you will
need at the very least a 64 bit OS and more RAM than I have (8 Gb).

Best,

Jim

> Stephen Henderson
> Wolfson Inst. for Biomedical Research