[BioC] standard deviation from log to normal scale???

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 18:17:20 CET 2006

Hi Jesper,

the asymmetry only becomes appreciable when SD(X)/X = SD(A) (btw this is
called the coefficient of variation) becomes big; say, much bigger than
0.1 (=10%). You can see this from the power series of the exponential
function. e^x = 1 + x + O(x^2), and the quadratic and higher order terms
that cause the asymmetry become non-negligible when |x|>>0.

 Hope this helps
 Wolfgang