[BioC] M vs M plots- dye effect in dyeswap exp

zarzabal zarzabal at uthscsa.edu
Wed Feb 8 16:48:42 CET 2006

Thanks for replying.
I was assured that these pairs are dyeswaps.
Yes, normalization was performed and the scatter plots look good after
normalization.

As Sean suggested I went back and reviewed all my plots. The density
plots for the kidney arrays look very similar but the bimodal peak is
more defined in the kidney arrays. For the liver arrays the plots are
less similar across arrays and only a couple still have the bimodal peak
after normalization. The individual scatter plots look pretty good after
normalization, but the dyeswap slides do not look like mirror images of
each other-shouldn't they?. Some almost look identical. The background
images all seem to favor the green dye more than red and there is
definitely a spatial artifact from the missing spots in the center.

I also reviewed the mean/median intensities of both the raw intensities
(red and green) and the normalized log ratio values. The values for each
channel looks pretty comparable across arrays. Of course I am very new
at this so I am not sure what sizable differences are acceptable or not.
I am curious though, shouldn't my median values for each dyeswap pair be
close? There was a very big difference on a few of the pairs.

As for the clustering suggestion, I do not have all the data, (print
batch, RNA extraction) needed.

I am really stumped on this. I am not a biologist so please excuse me
for my lack of knowledge as far as the experiments are concerned. I went
back and reviewed some data with excellent looking dyeswaps and the only
difference that I know of is that the RNA was company grade, not
in-house. Could this just be an issue of RNA quality? Anymore suggestions?

Thanks again
LZ