[BioC] clustering question

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Mon Feb 20 15:58:52 CET 2006

Sean,

Thank you for the reply. Would you be able to provide a brief code chunk
for the 1-correlation function you describe?

Also, would anyone like to comment on the more bioinformatic slant of my
question, i.e. do you gain more knowledge about the system by clustering
using 1-correlation or by hclust? As a biologist, it seems to me that we
are more often interested in finding genes that behave similarly between
samples rather than genes with similar mean expression.

If this is true, I wonder if the developers of GOClust could comment on
the clustering algorithms included as options in their package, which
are Clara, Hclust, Kmeans, and Pam. Again, as a biologist, I believe
that GO clustering would most be most appropriately done on genes that
behave similarly between samples, rather than have similar mean
expression. If, for example, two genes are exactly inversely
proportional, then they should cluster right next to each other as they
may be co-regulated.

I feel fairly confident in my assertions as a biologist, but I am not a
mathematician, and, if I am misunderstanding how clustering works under
these various algorithms, please correct me.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark W. Kimpel, M.D.