[BioC] No replicates and differential analysis !!

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:00:06 CET 2006

Without replication, there is nothing staatistical that is really
"robust" because you do not know how variable the data are.

In the old industrial design literature, in experiments without
replication, a normal probability plot (qqnorm) or half-normal plot
were used to identify effects which were too large compared to random
normal (which presumably fit most of the effects).  You could do
something similar (I would suggest using the quantiles of the t3 or
t4 distribution rather than a normal) but the method requires 2
assumptions that are very unlikely in the current situation:  the
dependent) and the responses must be identically distributed as a
K*t4 distribution, where K is a constant related to the gene-wise
standard deviation - i.e. the SD for all genes must be equal.

There is also the volcano plot, which I have never used, but is based
on similar ideas.

A more robust idea is to use a binary search using PCR and the
observed fold differences.  Although given the expense, it would be
simpler to run a replicate for each condition.

   --Naomi