[BioC] RMA-bimodality:

Peter G. Warren peter.warren at verizon.net
Tue Jun 6 17:54:37 CEST 2006

Hi, Wolfgang, Noel,

It is true that a non-linear transformation can change the number of nodes
of the data, and that that transformation can be sufficient to explain the
bimodality we see in background-corrected data. However, in my experience,
the raw probe-level data is itself bimodal. When there is some real signal
present, the probe-level intensities are actually from two different
distributions. The first ("absent") is where there is no positive transcript
binding, only cross-hyb, non-specific binding, and background. The second
("present") is all that, plus true target transcript binding. This
bimodality is more evident with log-transformed values. (In contrast, a
log-transformation of a truly unimodal distribution, such as
density(rnorm(...), is still unimodal.) In every case I've looked at, the
"absent" distribution dwarfs the "present" one, so it often looks like one
mode, before log transformation. After log transformation, I have been
unable to model the data successfully with a single distribution; it always
takes two.

Regards,
- Peter Warren