[BioC] Limma: background correction. Use or ignore?

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Mar 31 23:01:24 CEST 2006

I have investigated this (somewhat) experimentally.  Background
correction increases the variability of low-expression genes and
reduces it for high expression.  This corresponds to the RMA noise
model since background correction would double the additive variance
but not affect the multiplicative variance (which is the dominant
source of variance for highly expressing genes.)

--Naomi