[BioC] biomaRt error

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 2 18:41:05 CEST 2006

Hi Georg,

Georg Otto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> using biomaRt, I get an error:
>

>>mart<-useMart("ensembl", dataset= "drerio_gene_ensembl")
>>getAffyArrays(mart)
>
> [1] "affy_zebrafish"
>
>>getGene(id=genes.regulated.mas5, array="affy_zebrafish" , mart=mart)
>
> Error in getBM(attributes = c(attrib, "hgnc_symbol", "description", chrname,  :
>         attribute: affy_zebrafish not found, please use the function 'listAttributes' to get valid attribute names
>

> Then I use listAttributes() as requested:
>

>>listAttributes(mart=mart)
>

> and get the following output:
>
> <snip>
> [309] "zebrafish_affy"
> [310] "zebrafish_affy_primary_db"
> <snip>
>
> using "zebrafish_affy" instead of "affy_zebrafish" does not help, however:
>

>>getGene(id=genes.regulated.mas5, array="zebrafish_affy" , mart=mart)
>
> Error in getBM(attributes = c(attrib, "hgnc_symbol", "description", chrname,  :
>         attribute: hgnc_symbol not found, please use the function 'listAttributes' to get valid attribute names
>
> Any hint will be appreciated.

My understanding is that the BioMart folks are making changes to the
table names for the BioMart database, and this is happening right now
(e.g, right after BioC 1.8 is released). Unfortunately this means that
some of the convenience functions like getGene() are being broken.

I think your best bet is to use getBM() directly, and query for things
that you see when you do listAttributes(mart).

HTH,

Jim

> Best,
>
> Georg
>

>>sessionInfo()
>

> Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
> [7] "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>  biomaRt    RCurl      XML
>  "1.6.0"  "0.6-2" "0.99-7"