[BioC] Building devel affy on Windows - zlib

Wettenhall James James.Wettenhall at petermac.org
Tue May 9 07:18:46 CEST 2006

Hi,

Thanks everyone.  My problem with reading CEL files wasn't caused by a
new CEL file format not yet supported by the affy release version - it
was just caused by corrupt files, so for now I have stopped playing
around with building affy & affyio devel with/without ZLIB.  After going
through some CD and DVD backups, I have now collected a full set of
non-corrupt versions of the CEL files.

I did get a pretty big clue that something was corrupt, when I
considered zipping up a CEL file and sending to to a BioC person who
might be interested and I found that a 13MB CEL file was reduced to 13KB
after zipping!  Perhaps I should have known that even binary CEL files
have a nice plain-text header which I could have noticed was missing,
but I didn't.  So I incorrectly assumed that my collaborator's
confidence in the CEL files' integrity was justified, and that I should
consider a different version of the software.  Oops!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions,
James