[BioC] Memory Issue under WinXP x64 (64 bit Windows XP)

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu May 18 23:28:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 14:23 -0700, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> I am not fully up to date on the 64 bit windows issue, but I would
> assume that the CRAN build is done for a 32 bit system. If that is
> the case you need to recompile it - perhaps do a little search to see
> if someone else has already done it.

That is unfortunately not that easy. The MingW environment that is used
to build R does not have a 64 bit version (neither does Cygwin). I do
not know if there are other windows compilers which would be able to
build R properly. I kind of gave up once I realized it (and told the
windows user to reboot in linux), maybe someone more persistent will
figure it out.

> If you have such a big machine, why are you running windows on it :)

I was kind of wondering the same thing, but to each his own.

Francois