[BioC] RBGL installation on fedora core 5 (gcc4.1)

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri May 19 16:08:55 CEST 2006

Hi Johannes,

"Johannes Rainer" <johannes.rainer at tcri.at> writes:
> i have already posted once that the installation (or better said the
> compilation) of the RBGL_1.8.1 package failes on FC5 linux systems. actually
> the RBGL fails to compile with the gcc4.1 compiler and i found no way to fix
> this or work around this problem. the only way to install it on my system
> was to downloads the gcc4.0 source and install that compiler too, and
> comiple the RBGL package with this compiler. nevertheless, it worked
> for me.

Thanks for sending an update.  Glad to hear that you were able to get
RBGL working on your system.

Just to clarify a bit on what I think the issues are:

RBGL includes prepackaged sources from the Boost Graph Library
(heavily templated C++).  It's this library code that fails to compile
on the newer gcc's.  This isn't really a Bioc issue as much as a Boost
issue and ideally, the Boost project will fix their code.

+ seth