[BioC] simpleAffy, custom chip error

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Fri May 19 23:09:25 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as the person in the post below, namely, a call to
qc() fails with the message
"Error in qc.affy(unnormalised, ...) : I'm sorry, I do not know about chip type:
xyzcdf",
even though the cdf environment for the custom chip could be loaded (as was done
successfully by rma() and expresso()).
Since I don't have the probes for the chip, it makes sense that 3'/5' ratios
would not be calculated, but could just that fail and other things such as
present/absent still go forward?

I also tried the package affyQCReport because in its manual it says "Any valid
AffyBatch object can be used as long as the corresponding CDF environment is
also available.", but it failed with the same message.

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

p.s., I'm running R 2.3.0 and BioC 1.8 release with simpleAffy version 2.6.0 on
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu.

Hi,
Simpleaffy needs various parameters to calculate the qc values properly
- these include the names of the probesets used to calculate 3'/5'
ratios and so on etc. These data are stored in the package, so aren't
available for your custom array. The error message you're getting is
because the package can't find them ...

I'll send another (longer) post later when I've worked out the best way
for you to get these data in... :-)
Cheers,

Crispin