[BioC] Differential expression

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Fri May 26 17:25:58 CEST 2006

Makis,

I am speaking as a biologist, not as a statistician. Under conditions of
most biologic experiments, the assumption is that cells need to continue
mundane "housekeeping" functions and that these are minimally effected
by the differential conditions of the experiment. In my area, which is
neuroscience, we hope to see differential expression of genes involved
with neurotransmission or synaptic plasticity, but do not expect to see
differential expression of genes involved in just keeping neurons and
support cells alive and intact. It turns out that most genes are
involved in the latter, not the former, processes. We occasionally see
examples on this list, however, where very drastic experimental
conditions, such as one might see in toxicology, lead to differential
expression of a larger percentage of genes.

It is important, then, to put your experiment into biologic context to
consider whether your current findings make sense and how best to
proceed with normalization and analysis. For instance, normalization
techniques that make sense when only a small percentage of genes are
differentially expressed may not be appropriate when a much large
percentage of genes are differentially expressed (and I'll let the
statisticians on this list address what those procedures are and how to
decide which to use when).

If you would, you might describe for the list the context of your
experiment so that others might know how best to advise you to proceed.

Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD

Indiana University School of Medicine

.ch] On Behalf Of E Motakis, Mathematics