[BioC] Differential expression

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri May 26 19:05:06 CEST 2006

In many experiments, a large number of genes differentially express.
Loess normalization will continue to work reasonably well if, at each
level of intensity "A" the the average up and down regulation are
about equal.  However, you would probably not want to count on this
on small regions of the array, so it would probably be best to use a
whole-array loess, rather than print-tip loess if many tips were used.

The problem, of course, is to understand if the average up and down
regulation are about equal.  E.g. if you are looking at transcription
factor mutants, this would be a very bad assumption.

--Naomi