[BioC] The proper way of analysisng FACS-data; Question off topis?

Ulrik Stervbo ulrik.stervbo at gmail.com
Sun May 28 08:31:38 CEST 2006

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the proper way of analysing FACS-data. I
realise that the question may be off topic and I apologise. If it is
too far off, please advise me where else to go.

I am relatively new to FACS measurements (though not new to
programming). In the laboartory where I just started, they treat cell
cultures in triplicates and measure for some parameter on the FACS,
e.g. DNA fragmentation or exposure of phosphatidylserine. After FACS
measurement, the percentage of cells with for instance fragmented DNA
or exposed PS is found, and the mean form the triplicates is taken.
Later bar-graphs with standard variations are created.

As we collect at least 3 x 10.000 events, I somehow feel that
collapsing them all onto basically just three measurements, and then
ask if those three measurements are different from three other
experiments may not be the best way to go.

I would like to know if there is a significant difference after
treatment with some compound, and also compare treatment times. Is
there a better way than taking the means of triplicates? Any solution
should produce bar-graphs with quantitative differences.

Thanks in advance.
Ulrik